Friday, March 15, 2013

From remembrance to joy


What a day, what a day. Today was in my opinion the most important day in terms of our religious learning and experience. The holocaust is something we have been learning about for a very long time. Upon entering yad vashem I didn't know what to expect at all. We had been told briefly about what we would be experiencing but yad vashem is something you can only know if you see it with you're own eyes. Some might say that the western wall is more important that yad vashem, but I say there are 6 million reasons why yad vashem is more important. The thing that hit me the most, was when we entered the room of names. I didn't know so many people had been identified and still how orymany have not been. I have not understood the holocaust more clearly than I have today. I'm proud to know the story of these people.
Evan Chiang 


Shabbat!
Wow, the experience we had tonight was one to remember! The first event on the schedule for tonight was the Shabbat service. We were given the opportunity to see how reform Israeli Jews celebrate Shabbat in a service which was very similar yet was very different from the way our services run in Toronto. The next planned event was a home made Shabbat dinner at Israeli's homes. We saw the whole family get together to celebrate the most peaceful time of week. The food was quiet different, but amazing! The Israelis welcomed us with open arms and made it very enjoyable. After the outstanding food, we recited many prayers and had a great time. Overall, this was an unbelievable experience that I will not forget!
Adam Flomen

No comments:

Post a Comment