Saturday, March 16, 2013

Shavua tov!



"There are places I remember"

Before the trip we were asked to perform the mitzvah of reading from the Torah.  This request was a choice, and accepting that request eventually proved to be one of the most memorable moments throughout this trip so far. After learning my portion of the parsha, I had no idea as to exactly when or where I would be reading it. I was initially under the impression that we would read it in a conventional setting, but as I would soon find out it was somewhere much more special. We had our morning service outside at the Goldman Promenade. Here we could see the city of Jerusalem while we participated in this mitzvah. One by one we were called up to say our part after doing so we were asked to look up and take in our surroundings. At that moment while looking towards the city of Jerusalem and the Temple Mount I felt like I exactly where I was supposed to be. In that moment it was as if I was transported back in time and could see  the stories that I had read through out my years at religious school happening right in front of me. I had realized just how lucky I was to have the chance to read a story from the Torah so close to where it would have taken place.
Arthur edited by Sarah.S

Save a child's heart

After our 1 hour rest at the hostel, we boarded the bus to visit a house called "Save a child's heart". Everyone was introduced to the children from all over Europe and Africa who have serious heart problems. There were lots of activities to play with the children. We brought duct tape to make friendship bracelets, balloons to play with, and bunch of colouring books. After an hour or two, it was time for us to leave. So many emotions were going through when it was time to say goodbye. We took a big group picture of us and the kids. The visit was so embracing, it's just like holding something and never letting go. 
Slater Worth

My experience with three year old Sulha, was amazing. Even though she was not Jewish and did not speak English, we still had an incredible time together. Dove and I originally walked up to her after we were all introduced to the patients. She drew our attention to her because she was so lively and excited to see us. Throughout the time spent with her, playing with balloons and bubbles, unforgettable memories were made. She was so comfortable around us and we enjoyed every moment with her in the SACH house. Through hand motions and being ourselves, she got to have a fun Shabbat that I will remember forever. Her actions and enthusiasm made me realize how amazing this organization is. It helps children around the world get the heart surgery needed that they cannot receive in their home country. It is amazing that Sulha, along with all of the other patients, were able to get the medical treatment they needed. My afternoon with Sulha was an experience that turned out to be much more than I expected. It was exciting, fun, and I am glad that I was able to spend that time with her and the other patients. She was the sweetest girl ever, even though she didn't know my name. 
Jaclyn Flomen 

No comments:

Post a Comment